What I am doing:

I am currently working with an organization called Peace Brigades International in Nepal. This organization does international human rights accompaniment work. I am assigned to shadow threatened human rights workers to act as a witness and deterrent to political violence. I represent both the implied and actual attention of the international community. Thus, my presence along with a great deal of diplomacy work with all levels of government and military functions to prevent violence directed at these people. If further threats or a confrontation does occur concerning the person I am accompanying, or myself, an Emergency Response Network is activated that puts heavy pressure on the perpetrators. This network extends from simple actions from people like yourself to high level diplomatic sanctions, pressure from UN officials, Pressure from other countries' governments, etc... This, along with other nonviolent forms of action work to protect these people's lives and allow them to do their very important work.





Friday, February 4, 2011

Comfort

I am coming up on a year now lived in Nepal. I came here in March of last year and that anniversary is fast approaching it seems. The other day I went back to the SIT school here in Kathmandu at which I studied in 2007. I saw many of my old teachers and staff. In particular my dear Language teacher and friend Minaji. It felt good to see them again and to see her beaming as my Nepali has improved again since I've seen her last. I also met the new batch of students that had just arrived to start their semester abroad. They all looked so young and the big eyes that i surely had my first week in Nepal. But thinking back to that day when I first came her it seems ages ago. And it has allowed me to see all that I have learned, grown familiar with, and just grown as a person.
I have learned a great deal in terms of professional skills and experiences that will undoubtedly help me in my career. Many of the theories and case studies that i learned about in undergrad I now have practical experience that I have seen how these theories stand up to and where they fall short. I have learned to hold meetings with important and high ranking people as well as worked along side some incredibly impressive Human Rights Defenders. And I must say that the latter have inspired me to continue to work in this field. I already had quite a bit of motivation for this but it is certainly reinforced by their influence. I have also learned a great deal about Nepali culture and language in my time since i was a new student here. And what has allowed me to see my progress since I was in the shoes of those students the most is that When I think of my relationship with my work, living in Nepal, Speaking another language, etc.... is that I feel comfortable. Although Nepal will always be a foreign country and I will never know everything, or even a fraction, that there is to know here. I am at a place where I feel very comfortable here. Same with my language ability. I am not fluent but I am comfortable talking to most anyone about most everything. And with working as a Conflict Resolution Professional I am early in my career and have much to learn, but again i feel comfortable in this role. This tells me I am in the right place and in the right line of work. And that is a very comforting thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment