What I am doing:

I am currently working with an organization called Peace Brigades International in Nepal. This organization does international human rights accompaniment work. I am assigned to shadow threatened human rights workers to act as a witness and deterrent to political violence. I represent both the implied and actual attention of the international community. Thus, my presence along with a great deal of diplomacy work with all levels of government and military functions to prevent violence directed at these people. If further threats or a confrontation does occur concerning the person I am accompanying, or myself, an Emergency Response Network is activated that puts heavy pressure on the perpetrators. This network extends from simple actions from people like yourself to high level diplomatic sanctions, pressure from UN officials, Pressure from other countries' governments, etc... This, along with other nonviolent forms of action work to protect these people's lives and allow them to do their very important work.





Sunday, April 18, 2010

At home in the Village

So these days I am staying with a Nepali family in a village studying Nepali. I have a few more weeks to get my Nepali language on track to use it in my human rights work. And I feel I am on track to to just that. I am staying with a wonderfully warm and very large family. In one house I have a grandpa, a mother, father, two older brothers, their two wives, two nephews, a sister (who visits and stays there often), her two small sons, and two cows. luckily the cows do not stay in the house though. it is most defiantly a matriarchal household. Every mealtime my mother sits with pots of delicious Nepali food around her dolling it out to each family member and pestering us all to eat more to no end. Sometimes I must resort to defending my plate from her loving addition portions of food.
I have gotten close to both my older brothers. Dinesh is 29 and we speak at length in Nepali about everything under the sun in the evenings. We sit outside as the sun goes down talking and complaining about how our stomachs hurt from eating too much of mom's food. This time each night does more for my language improvement then anything I think. My other brother Manoj and I joke around a lot and are always picking on each other. His son, Susant, who is 6 often joins in too. Manoj often takes me around on the back of his motorbike to places I would not otherwise find and introduces me to many of his friends and extended family.
The village itself is full of cows and goats and fields surround it. It is on a hillside so the fields are terraced with the jungle reaching up the mountains behind us. And it is true jungle mind you. No one goes out at night because of the jaguar. I am eager to begin my work, but this family is so wonderful and life in this simple, farm based village suits me so much I am already feeling reluctant to leave even though it is not for some time.

2 comments:

  1. As I read your posts, I sit, smile and think to myself; this is exactly what you've always wanted to do. Innocent high school conversations on peace, your college degree and your divine personality are all culminating into your personal legend Patrick. I am SO incredibly happy for you! (term personal legend: taken from "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. If you haven't read it, it's a quick but powerful read. get yer paws on it:)
    Everything is going quite well for me - all the foreshadowing about central america discussed with you, has begun to play out. I have just returned from Nicaragua. The trip has embedded in me a higher understanding of simplicity and balance in life. It also presented a sole-mate! How and why life ebbs and flows, I do not understand, yet nor do I need to! I hope your life continues to flow beautifully Patrick! Know that I think of you often and care a ton for you! If you stay in one spot long enough to have an address, let me know. Writen mail is but the best kind.
    Thanks for posting my friend!
    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pat, I left just 3 weeks ago and I miss them so much! Hope we can visit before end of May if strike allows...

    ReplyDelete